Monday, March 18, 2013

Kale

Whenever I eat kale I feel like I'm eating something healthy. I've been eating kale since before it became trendy. In those days it was only available at the farmer's market but today I see it every where I shop.

Kale is easy to grow and is very generous in my garden. The first kale plant I bought was "Purple Kale". It's lasted quite a few winters although it looks a little scruffy and needs a haircut each spring. It will grow as tall as a tree if I let it!

I've noticed that since kale has become so popular, it's hard to find plants in the nurseries since they sell out quickly. Growing from seed is the way to go and last year I grew "Winterbor". This year I'm going to try a new variety called "Black Magic" which according to Veseys Seeds has "new leaves appearing just like magic" (how could I resist!?). I've also ordered "Blue Curled Scotch" which has 690 seeds in a package so I'm sure I can spare a few for a microgreen salad like they suggest.

Black Magic Kale
Blue Curled Scotch Kale
My first kale plant "Purple Kale" is still going strong
My "Winterbor Kale" looks even better with hoar frost
I was introduced to kale many years ago by James Barber while watching his TV show "The Urban Peasant" (also his moniker). He made kale and potato soup and I remember him saying "chop the kale leaves and stems about the same width as a telephone cord". Maybe this stands out in my mind because the first time I made the soup, I noticed that the kale stems themselves resembled a phone cord. (This statement is for the benefit of those of you who are saying "What's a phone cord?") Yikes! I just realized his show aired in 1991 and that's over 20 years ago! James Barber passed away in 2007 at the age of 84, a pot of soup simmering on the stove and an open cookbook in front of him. What a great way to go!

James Barber's (The Urban Peasant) Kale and Potato Soup

1 bunch kale, leaves and stems
1 onion, chopped
4 T oil or butter (or combination)
7 cloves garlic, yes 7
½ t red chili flakes
1 bay leaf
1 bouillon cube
5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 farmers sausage, diced (optional)
sour cream for topping (optional)

Slice the kale leaves and stems phone-cord thickness. Saute the chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf and chili flakes in 4 T hot oil or butter. Cook 3–4 minutes. Add cubed potatoes, 1 cup of water, cover and cook 5 minutes. Add the kale and bouillon cube, cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Add 5–7 cups water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 40 minutes. Add ground pepper and top with sour cream (optional). If desired add diced farmers sausage and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Note: In the interest of cutting carbs, I sometimes make this with less, or no potatoes, and it still tastes great.



This is my newest favourite way to enjoy kale. Eggs for dinner? Why not?

Kale and Feta Frittata

1 bunch kale
Salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Black pepper
6 large eggs
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Remove the thick stems from the kale and discard them; roughly chop the leaves and put them in a large heatproof bowl. Sprinkle the leaves generously with salt, then pour the boiling water over them and let them sit for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, put the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Drain the kale well and add it to the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until it's very tender, 10–12 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, and add the feta, along with some pepper. Turn off the heat under the skillet, pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, and stir very gently just to distribute all the ingredients evenly in the skillet. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top of the frittata is firm and the edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. Serves 2 to 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment