Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What I Learned in Exercise Class

For the past seven years, four days a week, I've been attending drop-in exercise classes at my local gyms - yes, that's plural as my membership covered four different locales, two including pools. During those years, I went to every class from Aerobics to Zumba. I say "went" because I stopped going when they cancelled Step Class.

What I learned:


  • Step Class Rules!
  • Spinning is the most punishing but rewarding workout ever.
  • All Yoga teachers seem to have inner peace.
  • Don't even try to keep pace with the instructor who considers exercise her life and runs 8 miles BEFORE teaching class.
  • I can't run.
  • Sweating is good.
  • While wearing a sweatband is totally uncool, it does keep the sweat out of one's eyes.
  • Being able to follow the choreography in Step Class, doesn't make me a Hip-Hop dancer.
  • Don't eat a big meal before class.
  • Get over feeling that everyone is looking at you.
  • Everyone falls off the Step at least once.
  • Warm up is important.
  • Cool down is important.
  • I don't do running.
  • The Plank is impossible to do at first.
  • If you're the only student who showed up for class and the instructor offers to teach the class anyway, say "Yes".
  • Pass on classes that don't make you sweat.
  • I don't do skipping.
  • Wear a special outfit only for class.
  • Hot Yoga makes you sweat so you feel like you're getting a great workout but you're really not.
  • Buy a special pair of runners and use them only for class.
  • There's nothing like music blasting at 8:00 a.m.
  • Music must be loud enough to cover up the sound of one's gasps for breath.
  • What a great place to get introduced to new music.
  • Music helps you forget that you're exercising.
  • I like forgetting that I'm exercising!






1 comment:

  1. Wow Mila, you learned a lot from exercise classes! Maybe I should take a class or two? Just a thought, probably won't happen but I will hit the courts and do some "spinning" on my way there.

    Sounds like the classes were fun even if you had to forget that you were exercising. Too bad they cancelled the step classes.

    ReplyDelete